Saturday, July 11, 2009

RED SEA MOMENT!

Up against the Red Sea... Have you ever been there? I'm there now. What do you do? Major dilemma.
Here is the picture: massive Red Sea before us, enemy closing in behind. God provides a pillar of fire (some temporary provision) to hold off the enemy for a day or two. Now what? Conclusion: We're in trouble!
Here are the choices: 1. Panic 2. Run back to Egypt 3. Swim for it 4. Wait.... Let's work our way there by means of elimination: Panic, while a natural choice, is not a good choice; If you run back to Egypt, the enemy will devour you; If you swim for it, that may work but I would imagine it is a long trip and to try to do it in our strength isn't necessarily wise. I guess that leaves us with door number 4: WAIT! That doesn't feel so wise either, but what else do you do? Ouch!
I just learned from my brother-in-law, Silas, that there is an old Jewish tradition about a man who waded out into the Red Sea and was up to his neck about to drown... the Red Sea parts! Talk about last minute comebacks!
Perhaps that explains why my arms are so tired, from all that doggy paddling!
There are times when God will allow us to be pressed in with no good options, and the only option left is to Wait. Not comfortable at all!
It is in these times that we either die or God comes through in an amazing way!
The promise to hold to is this: "God will make a way where there seems to be no way!"
So, here is a question I ask myself: What do I do while I wait? Because panic is not a healthy option, I may just try floating. Have you ever tried to float in a pool? Not easy, but it sure is relaxing once you get there. I prefer a raft personally!
The disciples were out on the lake when a massive storm hit. They were scared, which for fishermen that tells me it must have been some storm. While they were busy trying to survive, Jesus was resting! WHAT? How in the world do you rest in a storm at sea? I have been lost at sea, with 12-14 foot seas; it is very frightening! I was doing anything but resting! Yet, Jesus was able to rest. He must know something we don't!
Despite the wind and the waves, despite the imminent danger all around, there is a place of rest found with Jesus!
While the storm is fierce, and fear is breathing down our neck, we can rest in this one truth: WE WILL GET TO THE OTHER SIDE! Once I know that, I can rest!
So, the next time you are in a fierce storm remember this: Rainbows come out after the storm!
Enjoy The Journey!
Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment