Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What Does Soon Really Mean?

The other day, my 3-year-old warrior-boy, "Joshie" (Joshua), made a very touching, funny, yet profound statement. I woke up to it ringing in my head the following morning.
Let me first lay the backdrop: Mommy and Daddy were away for 5 long days, in Redding CA. During that time, Joshie's young-big heart was having a tough time. When we would call and talk to him on the phone he would sweetly say, "But Daddy/Mommy, I miss you! But Daddy/Mommy, I love you! But, but, but Daddy/Mommy, I miss you!" it was sweet but sad at the same time. He could not comprehend why we were away from him for so long.
His sisters, and friends babysitting, would say, "It's alright, Joshie, mommy and daddy will be home soon..."
Well, the week after mommy and daddy were finally home, Joshie's heart and mind had already created some startling conclusions. I was playing a game with Joshie and his sisters, when Joshie's 6 yr sister, cutie Kailey, made a comment about something being soon. To this Joshie quickly added, "Don't say soon... soon means Daddy and Mommy will not be home for a very long time!" While it brought a smile to my face, it also brought a tear to my eye. It said so much. "Soon means daddy and mommy will not be home for a very long time!" How profound.
Of course, we spent much time snuggling him and his three beautiful sisters, and we made sure to demonstrate to him that we are here for him and with him. I even went as far as demonstrating what soon really was, by playing a game of "soon" with him: "Daddy will be back real soon, Joshie." He looked at me unsure. "I will be back soon." He stayed lying on the floor waiting. Within about 30 seconds, I returned to the room to the delightful smile on Joshie's face. We did this two or three times until he got it. Soon really does mean soon!
This encounter with Joshie awakened some areas of sadness in my own heart. When I was 3 years old, my "daddy" left... yet did not return home. I began to wonder how my little child's heart and mind must have adapted to this loss. As an adult, I understand and I have received much healing from my heavenly Father throughout the years. Yet, this encounter with Joshie caused me to wonder what impact it must of really had on my emotional and mental development.
I can admit this, "soon" when it comes to the fulfillment of the promises of my Heavenly Father, has always been a strange word to comprehend. As I have heard many say over the years, "God's soon and my soon are not the same thing!" Is that really true? My experiences give it credence, but is that because we are often shaped by our inner beliefs? Or, is it because with God, time and space really are calculated differently? Maybe one day I will be able to expound on that. For now, it remains a mystery to me.
"A day is like a thousand years to the Lord." So who knows what "soon" really means?
This I do know, soon you and I will be walking in the fullness of what our Father has promised! In the meantime - however long that will be - we can rest in the loving arms of our ever-present, all-loving, joy-filled, amazingly good Heavenly Father!
I do know this, and I can testify with boldness: we can rest assured that our loving Father "will never leave us nor forsake us" as long as we shall live - which I am pleased to announce, is forever!
We will "see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the Living!"
Daddy is not only coming back soon, He is here with us now!
Enjoy the Journey!
Bart

2 comments:

  1. Great message Bart! I had tears in my eyes for Joshie and have eternal hope in my heart for all of us!! You have a wonderful calling, my brother.
    Keep spreading THE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete